Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Trivia Tuesday #2

Today's trivia fact will probably gross some of you out.  If you are squeamish at all about your food, you may not want to read on.  You've been warned....

The FDA allows an average of 30 or more insect fragments and one or more rodent hairs per 100 grams of peanut butter.

Hehe...I told ya.  I personally don't really care though.  I've eaten a lot of peanut butter in my lifetime and I'm still alive.  I know that there's also a lot of other allowances that the FDA makes on food products (like various grade meats having certain fillers, etc.).  Again, I don't care.  I love myself a good old fashioned hot dog or a McDonald's hamburger (insect parts and all!). 

I actually wonder sometimes if we are too clean for our own good.  We use so many antibacterial products and overuse antibiotics to a point where not only are bacteria becoming resistant to these things, but we aren't helping out our immune systems.  In fact, allergy rates in "wealthy" nations are considerably higher than in poorer nations.  The thought is that we are so clean that our immune systems are attacking things like dust and pet dander rather than the bad bugs they should be attacking.  Hmmm....

Now that I'm off my soapbox...that really is just my excuse for why my house is a mess :)

No comments:

Post a Comment