Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Writer's Workshop

Once again I’m going to attempt to respond to Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop…The prompt was to describe an ER moment so I figure that I’ll give you a few…


I am kind of a klutz (alright, that may be the understatement of the year!) and while I don’t have any funny stories while at the ER I have a few funny stories that have taken me to the ER. I figure I’ll share a few fun stories with you all. One involves me and the ER, the other involved a friend and the ER (the story is just too good to pass up.)
  1. Remember that I am a klutz. I was also a gymnast growing up and would frequently practice things around the house. I turned the railing on my deck into a balance beam, the arm of the couch into a vault, my swing set into uneven bars (you get the idea). I decided that it would be a brilliant idea to also turn our kitchen counter into a balance beam and to practice my new mount….while home alone….babysitting. Sadly enough, I was old enough to baby-sit when I did this…. In my infinite wisdom and grace I somehow managed to fall off the countertop backwards with my ass hitting the ground first. That hurt so badly that it was pretty much my focus. It wasn’t until my cousin looked and my sock and noticed the rapidly expanding red splotch (uh-oh). Turns out that I caught my heel on the (blunt) corner of our dishwasher. Emergency room here I come. The ER docs were impressed when I got there because I had actually hollowed out a huge chunk of my heel which is apparently quite the feat. Although it was pretty embarrassing to explain that yes, my 17 year old self had fallen off a counter while doing gymnastics….
  2. And apparently we don’t get smarter as we get older. Last year (so yes we are in our mid to late 20s here) hubby and I went up north with another couple friend to go skiing. We drove about 3.5 hours and got to the mountain to find the WORST conditions ever. People were trying to sell their lift tickets to us it was so bas so we decided to try something else. Girl Buddy knew someone in the area who had a cabin so we went to visit and ended up having a few beers. After a few beers it becomes a good idea to strap skis to your feet, build a massive jump, and attach a tow rope to a snowmobile (do you see where this is going?). One broken leg later we decided that it wasn’t such a good idea.

Hope you enjoyed a good laugh at my expense….any other good stories out there???

No comments:

Post a Comment