Friday, August 6, 2010

My first date....in a car....

So I'm a day late one this one, but Mama Kat had a prompt that was just too good to pass up.  Despite the fact it was supposed to be posted YESTERDAY, I figured better later than never.  Plus, this is a pretty good story.  Just try to picture it was you read....guaranteed you'll at least giggle.

The prompt was to write about your first date with a boy in a car.  I figured this meant that first date where our parents didn't have to drive us around and though I'm not sure this was really my first it was my most memorable.  Plus it was my first real date...every other time had been with a "boyfriend" not with a guy that was just interested in becoming that...oh high school.

So it was a Thursday after 6th period English and John (name changed to protect the innocent) chose to walk me to my next class, Spanish.  Along the way he asked me if I wanted to go to the movies with him the next night, Friday.  I'm sure I awkwardly accepted as I certainly wasn't as smooth as I am today and went home to share the happy news with my mom.  The next day at school was spent thinking about outfits and what I would talk about and all that other fun pre-date jittery stuff.  My mother and I spent hours after school finding the perfect outfit to highlight the washboard abs I had then (again...oh high school).  And then he pulled in the driveway and even came to get me at the door.  He walked me to the car, opened my door for me, and walked around to his.  I was in heaven!

Now I've left out one detail to this point because it really wasn't important at the time, but John was deaf.  He had cochlear implants that helped him to hear, but if there was background noise he had difficulty hearing and would read lips instead.  Well....cars are apparently lots of background noise.  We started driving to the movies and the conversation started to flow.  Until he asked me a questions.  And I answered.  And instead of watching the road, he was watching my lips.  Yikes!  I saw my life flash before my eyes and it was everything I could do not to grab the steering wheel.  So I did what any sensible person would do and stopped talking so he'd watch the road.  But apparently on a date, not talking is not good.  Needless to say, the date went downhill from there and that was it for me and John...too bad...he was cute...

No comments:

Post a Comment