Friday, January 29, 2010

Pet Names

I was sitting in my cubicle minding my own business yesterday and I overheard a co-worker on the phone with his sweetie and heard him call her babe...just kind of slipped it in there all non-chalant-like...and it was so cute!  I love pet names unfortunately I can't pull them off.  I have never been able to successfully call anyone in my life a pet name and feel normal about it.  On occasion, I'll call hubby "honey" but then I always feel like my mother and (as much as I love her) I don't like that.  Sweetie is just too sugary sweet for my taste, and babe is too hip.  I'm not sugary sweet, hip, or my mother...so I'm stuck.  On the rare occasions that I have tried saying them I usually end up laughing at myself and that just wrecks the mood completely.  Actually, I usually do the same when people say them to me.  I had someone call me "love" once (totally in a grandfather kind of way) and I began blushing furiously and giggling like a 2 year old.  Just doesn't work...

The things is I wish I could use pet names.  I envy those bubbly people who can call people sweetie and hun with a little arm touch and make everyone feel so happy and welcome.  And I wish people would use them on me without me turning into a hot mess.  But it just doesn't happen.  Or maybe I haven't found my pet name yet.....

Do you have any pet names that you use or are called?  Or are you like me and can't seem to get the hang of them?

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I have a couple of pet names. He doesn't mind me using babe, baby, or love in front of people but my favorite pet name for him is pookie, which he doesn't want anyone to know. Ooops :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The color is Valspar Blue Sash and it's found at Lowe's :)

    ReplyDelete